Saturday, June 26, 2010

Champagne Night



Uly and I wanted to have a special meal, since I was going to India the next day and will be gone for a week. It was a nice warm day, and it had been a while since we had champagne night so we figured it was time to have another one!

We knew we definitely wanted caviar, and this time we decided to splurge on the good stuff: real Osetra caviar. Good thing BevMo carries the stuff. A couple years ago, I probably wouldn't have been able to tell the difference, but now I could definitely notice the higher quality. We decided to make the Jean-Georges style eggs with caviar again, which with the Osetra definitely tasted like what we had at the restaurant (though still not quite as pretty). We also had some of the caviar by itself, with some blinis and creme fraiche. Later on, we even tried the caviar with some vodka we had lying around...it did go pretty well, but I still prefer champagne!

We also had some oysters that we bought from the farmer's market, which I served with a mignonette sauce from Epicurious. I prefer my oysters raw, but unless I'm in a really good restaurant or I buy them at the farm, you can never be too sure so I broiled them for a bit as the recipe recommended. Still pretty damn good. Also made some gougeres, which always go great with champagne. For these I use the recipe from Alain Ducasse. Finally, we cannot have champagne night without some foie gras, good thing we still had some vacuum-packs left in the freezer. We just seared these quickly and had them over brioche.

Of course, the meal won't be complete without some cheese. I got some Brillat-Savarin with truffle paste at Whole Foods, probably my favorite cheese of all time. Since we had the brioche anyway, we also decided to make an hors d'oeuvre that we had at the Mayo Reserve Room winery. It's very simple, but tasty...Rogue river blue, sonoma honey, and truffles. Yum!

Lushes that we are, we had not just one but two(!) bottles of champagne that day. The first one was Guy Larmandier Brut NV, a champagne that we had at a New York restaurant that I absolutely loved. For our second bottle, we stuck with the French and had some Taittinger Brut that we had on hand.

We definitely went all out on this one, but it was oh-so worth it! Can't wait until our next champagne night!




No comments:

Post a Comment